11/10/05

sadness: 3 portraits

Cry into the dishwater, baby.
Cry and cry,
and hope somebody hears you.
Cry until you're done
and then cry some more
because the dishes are done
and you're still crying.

Cry into the washing machine, baby.
Cry and let go.
But when the letting go stops,
just don't-
don't
block up the entrance
again.
Don't-

* * *
"Many scholars agree that Indian evangelism, as a whole, was not a story of success, the greatest reason being the intense conflict between the two cultures for supremacy over the land. But perhaps equally important was the deep-seated belief of white America that Indians were racially inferior and that their culture was not worth saving." -Ruth A. Tucker in From Jerusalem to Irian Jaya
* * *
Pages of faces flash before me.
Whose are you if not mine?
Whose are you if not anyone else's?
You are not your parents'
anymore
You are your own;
you are God's-
a small comfort
to you
right now.
Orphan children.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok... so i'm trying to understand this one. It moves me in ways I can't quite explain.

I'm thinking the three poems represent three views of sadness? Not sure which view the first is (lonely?)... the second is perhaps when one feels sorry? the third perhaps speaks of the depth of sadness from one who feels lost? Help me out...

The quote is extraordinary - I have never considered the missed opportunity for evangalism among American Indians. American Christain's blew that one big time...

c.l.beyer said...

The idea I was getting at was that sadness can take different forms and be caused by different situations. Some sadness is deeper, some is more distant but still very real. Without more information, it's hard to put a finger on the exact type of sadness anyway. As the author of the first and third examples, I just hope my readers can feel some sort of sadness through the details they _do_ have.

I, too, think the quote is really powerful; it speaks for itself.