11/21/05

quiet ride home

We had a quiet ride home from town. A few words floated by in the pick-up that smelled like farm pick-ups do, but they were emptier than the silence. I thought of the deep words that could have come, words for help and words for healing. But it turned out that their absence was deeper.

It was a cold ride home from town. But I'm warm now, so I don't remember the coldness. I can only hear the silence.

The ride home was an item on my schedule. It hadn't been there in a while, so I'd forgotten just how it worked. I forgot that if I ask questions, they should be questions like "what's that called?" and "how's that work?" and not... well, not like the questions I asked. Good thing I didn't think of too many questions.

We had a short ride home from town. Quiet and cold, but mostly just short.

No comments: