9/5/06

summer's last hurrah

They called it "summer's last hurrah," but here it rained all day, which was okay with me. We listened to the rain and to each other. We bought hot drinks and could at long last enjoy them. I counted the weeks left -- one, two, three... seven-and-a-half -- and knew we wouldn't have much time left to just do nothing.
Summer's over; fall's coming. I love fall, so I think it'll all be okay. The dripping rain keeps my heart from pounding, so I close my eyes and listen. It teaches me to stop... and read... and praise... and wait. And the next day, the memory'll remind me to sit and listen to the fountain splashing on the water. It'll teach me to be calm about wondering what tomorrow brings. God knows so I don't have to.

1 comment:

Luke said...

Somtimes I just want to curl up and sleep for days.