11/1/07

trudge, trudge, trudge

I hate squeezing through books.  Or whatever you want to call it: plowing through rock-hard-soil books, suffering through agony-books, straining under the weight of books.  And it's worst when you know the book is supposed to be good.  At least that's what people wrote all over the cover.

I am scraping my way through The Ragamuffin Gospel.  What a pathetic book to call drudgery, but it is!  It's so thin, not even an inch thick, and I'm sure it's just smack-full of truth that I could relate to, but I just can't seem to absorb it.

And the worst part is that I won't let myself stop.  C.S. Lewis keeps saying in Mere Christianity that if a chapter doesn't work for you, just skip it.  For some reason, that just freaks me out.  You can't skip!  What abomination!

So, instead, I read at an excruciating pace, hoping, hoping, I won't be 30 when I finally finish.

2 comments:

manhattandoula said...

I am equally obsessive sometimes. I say, if you can't abandon your obsession, just make yourself chew through 30 pages a day, and soon you'll be done!

Anonymous said...

stop the insanity! I'm not a great reader. I wouldn't call myself a good reader. But I am a deep reader. It takes me a long time to go through a book because I read every sentence. Consequently I have little tolerance for stupid books, boring books, predictable books, illogical books. Consequently I don't finish most books. And the few I've finished are my favs. Maybe a weakness. But I'm not calling it so. My vote: throw the damn thing away!

: )