1/19/06

poetry

I don't know much about poetry. I've always been intimidated about posting my own, for fear someone who knows more about poetry than I do will read it and my secret will be out: I don't know the rules of poetry.

And then I changed my mind. (I do a lot of that.)

I decided that that's the freedom of poetry. Think of it as God-freedom, salvation-freedom, freedom from forms and formulas and checklists and periods and punctuation. Poetry lets you use the words that mean something, the words that expand your heart larger than it deserves to be expanded.

To accept poetry means you can say things like "bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh" (Genesis 2.23) even though others may say, "That doesn't mean anything." But oh, what it means! Poetry means everything; it means there's life beyond what you see and hear and smell. It means there is life, and it's to be had.

Poetry lets you feel deeply, hurt deeply, and love deeply. Poetry says, Yes, you can repeat that as many times as you want because "his mercy endureth forever" (Psalm 136). And it also says you can put words beside words they've never been beside, and the words will commune and interlock and bear offspring of truth. And then the truth will set you free.

2 comments:

Luke said...

Carrie: I don't have your email address for some reason. The comments you left on my site came to my inbox, but they haven't posted on my site yet. I really appreciated your input on that, and length has never bothered me! :)

If you'd like to correspond on this subject more, feel free to drop me an email. I love discussing the Word. :)

M said...

Carrie, I used this post in class today for my AP students. I think it's beautiful and brilliant how you have interrelated the freedom and expression of poetry with the freedom and expression Christ gives us. At the core, both bubble out from our souls. Thank you.