5/9/07

words without pictures

A picture may be worth a thousand words, but there's no need for both, at least not on this blog. And since I'm a novice of photography, words are my tool of choice.

My generation has lost previous generations' hunger for words -- for novels, for poetry, for the ability to express oneself with the pen. And it's really sad, you know? People would rather sit in front of a television to see a story with their eyes than to have it painted in their minds by reading words on a page. All this film media dulls the imagination, I'm telling you.

I volunteered to keep a blog for our small group at church. One of the first comments I received was "more pictures!" More pictures? Aren't my words worth enough? To top that, I heard someone else (who considers himself a bit of a guru of writing composition) call blogs without pictures "boring."

So many blogs out there post a picture with every entry. "Oh, look! There's a picture of a guy with a beard! I bet I'd be interested in this post!" The photograph may draw me in, but as I scan through the post, my attention wanes. The words hold little value. And then I realize that the pictures are only there to cover up the writer's empty brain. Lured in again... and left to dry and die in the sun.

Call it boring if you want, but I have resolved to keep passage picture-free. It challenges me to write words of value, to think before I post. I'll try not to waste your time; I'll try to keep you coming back. And hopefully -- someday -- both of our brains will get a little exercise.

6 comments:

Luke said...

*grin* Did you read this before you made your "picture of a beard" comment?

Anon said...

I like your pictureless blog. I know the saying "a picture is worth a thousand words," but I think good writing can tell a story and reveal a heart so much more than pictures do.

Your second paragraph makes me think how sad it is that so many people today prefer to have someone else do all the imaginative "work" for them. How lazy we've become!

c.l.beyer said...

Shoot.

Um, Luke? Okay, I admit that picture came to mind, but it was because that blog happens to use a lot of pictures, not because that post was particularly bad. I thought it was funny, actually... especially the description of Aaron as a wise man stroking his beard in thought. But after that, I started imagining a generic man-with-a-beard picture -- kinda looked like Keith Green, I think. Stupid me. It turns out, pictures of men with beards are not very common on blogs.

(Am I out of the doghouse now?)

c.l.beyer said...

And Dona, thanks for your comment! It reminded me to check your blog out again; I hadn't been there in a while. It's such a good, quality blog, and (almost) pictureless, too. :)

Luke said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Luke said...

Judging by the fact that Aaron hasn't commented here yet, I'm guessing he doesn't read this.

Lucky for you. *grin*

I happen to enjoy pictures. I think they can add a lot to a post if used judiciously. Not all of us bloggers have your God given gift with words.

True Story.

BTW, we got your gift in the mail the other day! I love it. Thanks a bunch!