3/19/07

on politics

Just a minute ago, I unsubscribed from the AFA ActionAlert email list. I was tired of hearing the rampages: “Ford supports homosexuals!”, “NBC allows unsuitable programming!”, “Prayer is silenced at such-and-such-a high school!” It was just too much. I despise the negativity. In the name of “American Family Association,” this newsletter seems like little more than conservative propaganda.

I sound like a liberal, and I sound like a Democrat. Who’d-a ever thought it? I don’t think I’m a liberal, though, and I’m sure not ready to say I’m a Democrat. But I can also say I’m not a die-hard Republican either. I’m just really sick of evangelical Christianity being used as a political position, that's all. Since when are Christians called to stand up for their "rights" and dignity at all costs?

Today I’ve been reading Loud and Clear, by Anna Quindlen. Quindlen used to be a journalist, and she’s a Democrat. While only some of the book’s contents is focused on political issues, it’s enough to make me reevaluate my political stances. I don’t agree with everything Quindlen says – maybe half, maybe not quite half. But she makes me less mad than Don Williams – author of the AFA ActionAlert emails – does.

The thing is, AFA claims to be a Christian organization, and it just seems like there’s more finger-pointing out there than love these days, and I’m really sick of it.

Let me dig myself into a deeper hole: I firmly believe homosexuality is a sin. But until we prohibit heterosexual adulterers and fornicators, liars, swindlers and greedy businessmen, idol-worshippers, and angry women from certain American freedoms, homosexuals shouldn’t be treated as worse than any other sinner (I’m not suggesting we persecute all sinners, by the way). I’m embarrassed on behalf of my “conservative Christian Republican” brothers and sisters. And to the liberals out there that don’t know Jesus, I’m sorry you’ve been given such a distorted view of him through people that I used cheer on.

I am so far from a political commentator. There are so many issues I simply don’t understand – namely, the war on terror and the war in Iraq (or are those two wars one and the same?).
And while we’re on the issue of war, let me also say I’m tired of Bush-bashing (Bush, obviously, being the number one name associated with the war[s]). I don’t think it’s any more appropriate than homosexual-bashing. Respecting authority is hard, but it’s also the mature thing to do. That’s all I’ll say about that.

Let me tell you what else I did today: I watched Oprah. Oprah was interviewing Barack Obama, a guy more and more Americans are admiring on both the left and right wings. I’m one of them. I think he’s got a lot of sense, and Democrat or not, I can’t say I wouldn’t vote for him if he decided to one day run for President. One thing he said in the interview was that, aside from all the partisan bickering that happens in Washington, regular, everyday Americans need to come together on the things they do agree on – things like family values, things like our parents taught us when we were growing up: honesty, empathy, things like that. I agree. As much as that may sound like political schmoozing, I think it’s true. There’s so much truth out there that doesn’t come in the form of partisan politics.

I have decided that the truth I want to stand on is the truth of God’s word. And if that means doing something “notoriously” liberal like standing up for racial tolerance, then I need to do it. And yes, there are poor people in America who haven’t figured out how to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps, and I believe I’m partly responsible for their trials. What can I do about it? On the other side of the coin, I don’t believe abortion is justified, but how am I approaching its supporters?

What do I care about, and how do I show I care? What should I just let go?

As much as I want to justify myself by saying I came to these conclusions solely by knowing what Jesus would do and what would please God, I’m sure the political subtlety of Anna Quindlen and Barack Obama do have their bit of influence on me as well. But I also think I’m being fair by listening to what they have to say. They aren’t ultra-left-wing, so I don’t think I’m being too irresponsible in hearing their point of view (not that hearing the ultra-left-wing point of view is necessarily irresponsible). I think the important thing is that rather than making me angry – like I become whenever I received a new AFA email – they make me think. I don’t always agree with them, but they’re mature enough to take a moderate approach, and that deserves the honor of at least being heard.

:: written 18.october.2006 ::

7 comments:

Luke said...

For a good sound Christian defence of Biblical Principles you might want to check out Stand to Reason. I respect it a lot.

Luke said...

btw, I totally feel your frustration with the AFA. I get their news letter too. It's frustrating how biased and politically charged it is. Very little in the way of "truth in love".

daniel said...

Just wanted to say I really appreciated this post. I heard someone talk recently, maybe it was Philip Yancey, who said, "when religion and politics mix, the politicians gain power and religion loses credibility". I think critically evaluating political positions and stances is so important for all people. While I lean towards the libertarian side (I'm hoping Ron Paul in 2008), I can understand why Christian people would be looking to the 'other' party.

The AFA newsletters sound a lot like the local Detroit Christian radio station which proclaims every 10 minutes that they broadcast "for God and country". Their main broadcaster spends as much time on republican talking points as he does on any Biblical topics. While I would personally advocate for some of the topics, it frustrates me that Christianity is used to promote a political agenda.

Just wanted to say I understand and can sympathize with your frustrations. Democracy is an interesting challenge, since in the Bible there was always just a single leader. The responsibilities for ruling were not distributed among the people, so new and interesting challenges for us. So thanks for the posting, I definitely appreciated it and I hope we can all be open to God's direction on political matters as well as the rest of life's complicated decisions.

c.l.beyer said...

Thanks so much, guys, for your comments.

Luke, I'll have to check out the site you recommended a little more this week. From the few articles I've read so far, it looks interesting.

Dan, you've inspired me to research what libertarianism is all about. I think I need to expand my political party vocabulary beyond "Democrat" and "Republican." :)

Julie said...

Amen, and amen. That's all I got to say about that. As Dan suggested, they talk about the seperation of church and state as a method to protect the state, but really I think it's to protect the church.

Anonymous said...

I cannot agree whole heartedly. Truth is not always sweet to the ear. Even in Jesus ministry, He used some very awful names to call people. Can you imagine listening to someone who calls his critics "you brood of vipers" and "whitewashed seplecers." What would people say about someone who caused a riot in the "church" by pushing over tables and using a whip? Couldn't there have been a more diplomatic approach? This guy sounds pretty fanatical. Would you be identified with such a man? We read over these passages though and skip to the passages more palatable to our ears...the stories about healing those blind from birth...talking to the woman at the well. Indeed the person of Christ is hard to characterize...full of compassion, yet sometimes...scary?

How then should we stand for truth? I do not think Paul was very good at avoiding controversy. I think the AFA emails are trying desperately to awaken a people they believe is asleep at the wheel (their urgency suggests something desperate). How does one awaken a slumbering nation?

(Jamie does not condone finger-pointing, intensionally misleading propaganda, prayerlessness, or abortion.)

c.l.beyer said...

Thank you, Jamie and Julie, for your comments. (And sorry it took me so long to get around to responding.)

Julie, that's really interesting what you said about separation of church and state, but my brain's tired right now, and I just can't make total sense of it (my fault and lack of background on the issue, not yours). I'd love seeing some examples.

And Jamie, I enjoyed reading your comment, too. I think you're right, that there are things that _should_ anger Christians. Jesus gave us a perfect picture of what should be responded to in anger, and what in mercy and kindness. However, I do think it's important to recognize that Jesus was the only person who truly had the _right_ to react like He did (and He had the right to do a whole lot more than overturn tables, call people names, and pull out a whip!). Do you think we are justified in doing the same?