10/4/04

on rain

What is it with people, that they complain so adamantly about the rain? I love the rain, performing a symphony outside my window, accompanied by the rumbling bass of thunder.

"Let the rain kiss you. Let the rain beat upon your head with silver liquid drops. Let the rain sing you a lullaby." -Langston Hughes

Rain is like a healing balm, blanketing the dry brown grass.

"Many a man curses the rain that falls upon his head, and knows not that it brings abundance to drive away the hunger." -Saint Basil

I love how rain announces the sovereignty of God without reservation. No one can silence the thunder or mellow out the lightning.

"Rain! whose soft architectural hands have power to cut stones, and chisel to shapes of grandeur the very mountains. " -Henry Ward Beecher

So you can look at me like I'm crazy when I say I hope for a storm, or when I admit that I wouldn't mind another shower. It won't change my mind.

"Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather." -John Ruskin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Carrie ~

Beautiful. Poetic. Inspiring.

~ Brooke